DEPUTY COMMERCIAL DIRECTOR
SAIL TRAINING INTERNATIONAL
Up to £45K + benefits
Sail Training International harnesses the magic of the Tall Ships worldwide in unique international races and regattas. As the international voice of sail training, we also run professional conferences and seminars, produce publications and sponsor research, and advocate the interests of sail training and the Tall Ships to international regulatory and other organisations. We are a charity and we work closely with our member national sail training organisations around the world, Tall Ship operators and host ports to help young people benefit from the sail training experience.
To meet the growing demands of our rapidly expanding activities, we wish to appoint a Deputy Commercial Director, reporting to the Commercial Director.
The Deputy Commercial Director will work with our office and event management teams, sponsors, host ports and Tall Ship operators to achieve our commercial goals. The role will be event project based. Does this mean the work is focussed on events and projects?
The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate experience of international business and management of the commercial aspects of large scale public events, including control of branding, contract compliance and delivering sponsor benefits during events.
Good inter-personal, organisation and presentation skills, and an empathy with our organisation’s purpose are also pre-requisites. Flexibility to travel, mainly within Europe, is a requirement.
The Deputy Director is responsible for the execution and delivery of Sail Training International’s events and contractual relationships. In addition s/he deputises for the Director as necessary in host ports and event locations, and as arranged in the UK.
The primary duties will be:
- Developing projects, primarily Tall Ships events and conferences, from contract to delivery
- Supporting the Commercial Director in optimising relationships
- Liaising directly with host port representatives at a senior level to insure the event objectives of Sail Training International are met
- Working with the host ports to maximise the number of ships participating in events
- Liaising with the Tall Ships about their participation and income opportunities from the event
- Management of corporate hospitality opportunities for ships
- Maximising the number of trainees recruited by contracted host ports
- Ensuring the commercial requirements in respect of branding and event identity are met by host ports
- Working as part of the Sail Training International Event Management Team to deliver a first class event to the host port, participating vessels and trainees.
- Ensuring smooth activation of sponsorship
- Working with the Communications Manager to maximise PR opportunities and media coverage of the event
- The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate experience of the management of the commercial aspects of major public events including working with sponsors.
- S/he will have worked in an international environment and be aware of national business cultures
- Good inter-personal, organisation and presentation skills, and an empathy with our organisation’s purpose are also pre-requisites.
- International travel is a regular requirement of the role most notably during the planning phase and for the duration of the event season. A valid current passport is therefore essential.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is a pre-requisite; and applicants with fluency in at least one other international business language will have a particular advantage.
- The successful candidate will have some knowledge and understanding of commercial contracts
- Computer skills required include Microsoft Office products, especially Excel and Word.
- The ability to work as part of an event team that includes both staff personnel and volunteers is a requirement.
Salary: Salary of up to £45,000 dependent upon experience.
Benefits package of contributory pension scheme and private medical insurance.
Written email applications by 1 October 2012
to Gwyn Brown, Head of Commercial Directorate
Interviews will take place on 4th & 5th October at our offices in Gosport.