Over one thousand international trainees and crews paraded through Lerwick
today before the event was declared officially open by Event Chairman, Knut
Western, to a rapturous applause.
Hundreds of people aligned the streets and peered from their gardens and
houses to witness their home town transform in to a multi-cultural Tall Ships
festival, making sure the parading crews received a warm Lerwick welcome.
Following a fantastic opening ceremony, Sail Training International's Race
Director, Paul Bishop, hosted the eagerly anticipated prize ceremony which saw
15 year old (and 63 days) Leon Siegert, a trainee from Esprit, win the
prize for the youngest trainee.
Leon commented: "I have had a great time with a fantastic skipper and fun
crew. The best part is the sailing and meeting other people and the worst
has to be sea sickness!"
Wylde Swan from the Netherlands won the prize for most outstanding
contribution to the Cruise-in-Company and Russian vessel, Mir, won most
international crew spanning 12 different countries: Russia, UK, Belarus,
Ukraine, Philippines, Sweden, Angola, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, India and
Please see below for the complete prize list:
Inter-ship sports competitions donated by the Shetland Island Council:
1. Overall winner of the Tug of War competition - Dar Mlodziezy, Poland (Swan a close second!)
2. Best arrival in Port - Espirit, Germany
3. Overall winner of hte volley ball competition - Dar Mlodziezy, Poland
4. Best dressed ship in port - Gloria, Colombia
5. Best crew in the Crew Parade Class B, C, D - Dar Szczezina
6. Best crew in the Crew Parade Class A - Gloria, Colombia
The Tall Ships Races 2011 special prizes donated by Sail Training International:
7. Youngest Trainee - Leon Siegert (15 years and 63 days), Esprit
8. Oldest Vessel - Liv, Norway (1893)
9. Best Blogs from the Cruise-in-Company - Solbjorn Einarsson, Europa
10. Youngest Crew in the Cruise-in-Compnay - Alba Endeavour, UK
11. Most International Crew on the Cruise-in-Company - Mir, Russia
12. Outstanding contribution to the Cruise-in-Company - Wylde Swan