The Tall Ships Races 2014
offers content for every type of media outlet – print, digital and
broadcast. From hard news and sports coverage, to human interest
features and colourful action spectacles.
- unique and spectacular video and photo opportunities
- opportunities to sail on a Tall Ship
- unusual interview and story opportunities
- a chance to follow race progress online via on board satellite tracking system ‘Yellow Brick’ and daily media reports
Video and photography resources
The magnificent Tall Ships fleet and popular
port events provide a never-ending stream of film and photographic
opportunities. If you are looking for a particular image before the
event call +44(0)23 9258 6367 or email
The media centres in each port can provide photo and video materials in different formats.
Media berths: get on board
Several Tall Ships in the fleet will offer a
limited number of discounted berth spaces to accommodate media onboard
during the races and cruise in company.
Media berths give journalists a fantastic and
unrivalled opportunity to experience a Tall Ships Race first hand,
learn about daily life on board, get closer to the trainee human
interest stories and feed back reports as the race excitement unfolds.
To arrange a berth place contact:
Sally Titmus, Communications and Marketing
Office number: +44 (0)23 9258 6367
Mobile: +44 (0)7827 298 733
Stories and photo/film opportunities
- Follow the progress of trainees from a
range of nationalities and backgrounds, to see how the experience of
sail training changes people lives.
- Photo and filming opportunities at sea
aboard a press boat, during the Parade of Sail in each port and
for official race starts in Harlingen and Bergen.
- Watch Tall Ship crews assemble in fancy dress and march in a colourful Crew Parade
- Photo opportunities with trainee representatives of all nationalities
- Interviews and photo opportunities with bursary winners and prize winners in each port
- Join in a ‘press tour’ of the vessels to hear about their history and interview Captain’s
- Enjoy a behind the scenes Tall Ship tour of the ship galleys and living quarters
- Follow race leg progress online via the Yellow Brick satellite tracking system and twice daily media reports.
- Take part in a mast climb in ports - a
unique venue for radio interviews and unrivalled aerial views; or the
experience as a unique competition prize
- Interview local country representatives,
the STI Race Director or Chairman, and often celebrities aboard the deck
of a Tall Ship.
Each host port will organise a limited number
of press boats to take photographers and film crews out to sea during
the Parade of Sail and for the race starts in Harlingen and Bergen.
If you are interested in booking a place on a
press boat you will need to register your interest either through the
host ports media accreditation system or in the media centre during the
Each host port will establish a media centre
for the duration of their event and will manage a media accreditation
system. The media centre is the place to obtain more information about
the ships, event, sail training in general and to arrange to speak to
the Race Chairman, Race Director, captains and trainees.
Due to the large numbers of interested media it is highly recommended to apply for accreditation ahead of the event.
WIN A TABLET: the best use of social media award
Win a fantastic Acer Iconia tablet using social media to share your experiences of The Tall Ships Races 2014 with the world.
Crew and trainees can:
- use any form of social media
- share pictures, videos or writing
- enter multiple times
Submit entries via email to Sail Training International in port at Harlingen, Fredrikstad, Bergen or Esbjerg.
Deadline: 12:00, Sunday 3 August.
The award will be presented at the final Prize Giving of The Tall Ships Races 2014 in Esbjerg, Denmark.
Entries should aim to user their Tall Ships Races 2014 experience to inform and entertain non-sailors. Entrants will be judged on content, creativity, humour and originality.
Each entry should include a named individual with contact email/mobile number and name of vessel.
Please submit your entries to: